OK enough blogs about me! It's pretty funny, I hate having my picture taken and my last two entries there I am ( weird teeth and all!). I promise that my face won't be on here for a long time to come... because I don't have anymore photos...hee..hee.
Back to pots.... I am focusing how the funny shapes I've been into making lately relate to one another. Here are some examples of works in progress:
The first pieces are creamers and sugarers (is there such a word?). Some are on trays. They are altered. Thrown hallow Then bashed around a bit to make rounded a symmetrical forms. I am loving the way I can make spouts and feet can accentuate the body shapes and the way I can make the handles on the lumpy trays repeat the handles on the pieces. I have yet to fire these and have yet to figure out the glazes. So only about a 10th of the whole process is clear to me.
The second group I'm working on is a community of mountain or fruit like covered jars. I've got about 8 done but want to do a lot more. I'm having fun with this one as they all relate in form but as none are symmetrical they can have different conversations with each other. I wonder how it will be when I sell them one by one. Will I sell them one by one?. Maybe someone will see the value in owning a whole mountain range or maybe a bushel full of round, off center, talking fruit.
So far I have been about trying to create harmony and a feeling of wholeness with my pots. Pollyanna pots through rose colored glasses. Maybe I should think about exploring work that tackles bad as well as good relationships ...Groups of pots with corresponding cracks and pimples? Pots pushing pots? An interesting task for me as my focus has been on making work that is usually "pretty". This is an idea I am going to have to think about for a while..... If you start seeing some really butt ugly stuff here at least you'll know where I'm coming from.
Thursday, January 25, 2007
Wednesday, January 24, 2007
My wonderful friend
1. I'm only 5 feet 1/4" tall. In my first year of college some kind soul set me up on a blind date with a guy a foot shorter than me.
2. You could put me in a locked room with a toaster, butter and several loaves of bread (good bread but not the stuff that tastes like cardboard or that is made from wood chips) and I would be a happy camper.
3. I hate my teeth and I have hairy toes (like a hobbit).
4. I am hopelessly addicted to really cheesy reality shows. This is a life long addiction. It started with the Ted Mack Amateur Hour and Miss America. My addiction was was fueled by Star Search and the Real World and now there are too many shows to choose from. I'm just in heaven. Project Runway is my absolute favorite.
5. I love Paris and want to live there someday. John doesn't think this is anything anybody doesn't know about me...oh, well, now you really know.
6. I have a secret passion for Pilgrim shoe buckles and weird medical devices.
My gorgeous godson
Boy I'm really bad at this links thing!